Stop Stuttering / Stammering With Hypnotherapy. Stuttering is a common problem with young children. Most often than not, it is a passing phase and many children overcome it spontaneously and learn to communicate efficiently. If the stuttering doesn’t stop, there could be many reasons for it. The issues could be:
- Psychological: emotional trauma
- Neurological – brain damage due to an accident or medication.
- Physiological – physical condition or issue that makes speech difficult.
Before deciding on hypnotherapy as a corrective treatment to overcome stuttering, it is imperative to see a medical doctor and clarify that there is no such physiological or neurological cause for it. Visiting a speech therapist could also be a very valuable first step. It is important to understand this condition before deciding on the course of therapy.
How Can Hypnotherapy Help Overcome Stuttering?
When stuttering is caused by psychological reasons hypnotherapy is a very powerful and effective method to rely on. To overcome stuttering it is important to get to the root cause of it and understand the triggers. Usually a person stutters when exposed to stressful situations and their speech is much better when relaxed. Stuttering starts in childhood due to various stress factors, such as abuse, separation anxiety, fear and bullying. Children who stammer experience anxiety, embarrassment, fear and apprehension of being teased and it then becomes a vicious cycle. Constantly being conscious of their speech, they develop low self-esteem that makes the condition worse.
Many who stammer are still able to go up on stage and recite a memorized piece of prose or poetry or sing or even talk to themselves without any difficulty. This is undoubtedly because they perceive they arein chargeof these situations and are therefore, not stressed.
Hypnotherapy will help :
- Identify and rectify the underlying root cause in the subconscious mind for the stuttering
- Reframe painful memories of the past
- Get rid of anxiety and fear
- Learn to relax and breathe easy
- With powerful hypnotic suggestions, change the subconscious programing to support easy effortless natural talking.
- Increase confidence and self-esteem
How Many Hypnotherapy Sessions Are Needed to Resolve Stammering?
After an initial assessment, 10 one-hour sessions are recommended. Homework in the form of breathing exercises or recordings to listen to may be given to the child.